Strand Legal & Conveyancing is an incorporated legal practice which offers and provides legal services to businesses and individuals. In order to provide legal services, we collect personal and sensitive information from our clients.
Under the Privacy Act 1988, companies that collect personal information are required to have a policy regarding the collection, use and disclosure of personal information.
As lawyers, we are professionally bound to protect your confidential information and as a company we are required to comply with the Privacy Act. More importantly, it is important to us that you, our clients, are confident the information that you provide to us is safe in our hands and handled correctly.
The information we collect
We will collect personal information from you, which may include some or all of the following:
- your contact details including your name, address, telephone number, domain name and email address;
- your occupation, age, date of birth and gender;
- your bank account and credit card details; and
- private information concerning the matter on which you have instructed us to act for you including, but not limited to, financial information, information about your personal circumstances and other commercially or personally sensitive information.
How we collect the information
Most of the information we collect will be from you personally in face to face meetings, telephone conversations, emails, messages received from our website and written correspondence from you.
In the course of acting for you we may also receive personal information from third parties such as real estate agents, financial service providers, other lawyers and settlement agents.
We may use third party software or analytical tools embedded in our website to collect information about visits to our website including, but not limited to, the number of visitors, the pages viewed, the length of time of each viewing and the country or state of origin of the visitor. The software may collect your IP address although we are not provided with and do not retain that information.
- allow essential parts of our website to operate efficiently;
- operate our website content management system;
- operate and enhance security of the online forms that you use to contact us. This cookie is set on your arrival at our website and deleted when you close your browser;
- collect information about how visitors use our website. This cookie collects information in an anonymous form including, but not limited to, the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come from and the pages they visited; and
- store your personal information so that you do not have to provide it afresh when you visit the site next time. This cookie will last for 90 days.
How we use your information
The information we collect is used to:
- Enable the staff of Strand Legal & Conveyancing to provide the services requested by you.
- Verify your identity, whether or not required by law, and to be able to identify you for security purposes.
- Communicate and correspond with you.
- Provide information to third parties such as government and other regulatory bodies, other parties to the transaction, external advisors, financial institutions, the courts and tribunals where required to render the services requested by you or where required by law.
- Provide information to any person to whom you have directed us or consented to provide your personal information. Your consent may be express or implied from instructions or directions given in writing or verbally.
- Send you marketing information on products and services we provide and believe may be of interest or benefit to you. We will ensure that you are provided with information on how to opt out of or unsubscribe to receiving such communication from us.
- Improve your experience of our website and enable us to increase engagement and online enquiries.
The security of your information
Your name and contact details when first collected are entered into our computer file management software and also kept on a physical file opened to hold your documentation.
The file management software in which your personal information is maintained is password protected with access given only to authorised staff.
Our computers are protected by virus protection software and all security is maintained by our Information Technology Administrator.
Third party advertising
Access to your personal information
You may have access to your personal information held by us subject to certain exceptions under the law.
If you wish to access, update or correct your personal information, please submit your request in writing to our Privacy Officer. We will respond within ten (10) business days of your request. There is no charge to correct or update your personal information.
If you have a complaint about how we collected or handled your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer. We may require you to submit your complaint in writing. We will endeavour to deal with your complaint and resolve the matter as quickly as possible, but if the matter is complex our investigation may take longer. In this case, we will let you know when to expect our response.
If we are unable to satisfactorily resolve your complaint, you can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
Phone: 1300 363 992
Phone: 9381 0500
Attn: Privacy Officer, Kerry Cable
P.O. Box 514West Perth
Strand Legal & Conveyancing
ABN 38 614 916 755
How can we help you?
Subscribe to eNews
To get the latest news